Monday, October 26, 2009

Keeping Busy and Building Your Business

The current market has its challenges in our real estate industry, but I think I have found the silver lining in all of this! Quite simply, I have been keeping busy working on ways to make my business better and more productive. How you ask? The answer: I am more involved in my industry.

I have been taking more classes that are offered at ACAR from our Education Department. I even took a CORE class and I am not due for it this year. But, why not? Our industry is changing so rapidly that I felt it was in my best interest to be more knowledgeable about not only legal but the technology changes & challenges we now face. I took the NAR Green designation class for a new designation that is actually one of my passions.

I bookmark real estate news web sites and make a point to read them daily. I go to other news web sites that give me an overall picture of not only the Treasure Valley but our country. What happens in other states may or may not happen here, but it is invaluable to know before a client or customer asks. And, I visit the NAR web site more often that I ever have before http://www.realtor.org/.

I volunteer more. I have found volunteering for ACAR committees is rewarding, fun, and the networking is fantastic. I enjoy working with other volunteers and the great staff we have at ACAR because I can see, firsthand, the results of our efforts. I could write something about each committee, but I want you to go to our website instead http://www.myacaronline.com/. Take a look. Ask yourself, what is my passion? Figure out what committee would answer that question. Is it Education? Communications? Events that we produce such as Circle of Excellence? REALTOR® Outreach, which works to promote our industry in the community through programs & projects such as Rake Up Boise and Paint the Town? Have you thought about helping on the Agent2Agent committee (this is a fun group!). Do you have the skills for a Budget & Finance committee? Does Political Affairs pique your interest?

I think you get the picture: there are all sorts of opportunities to get involved or further your education, which furthers your career. After all, you never stop learning….and what better way to learn than directly from your industry and your peers!

Laurie Barrera, President Elect 2010
Group One

No comments:

Post a Comment

By submitting your comment to this blog, you are allowing ACAR the right to use and/or display it at our discretion.

We reserve the right to remove or edit any comment due to offensive or inappropriate language, relevancy, commercial endorsements, and spam. This could be done manually or due to automated spam detection software. We will not remove or edit comments we disagree with nor will we edit comments to change the commenter’s intention.

Creative Commons License
The ACAR Watercooler by Ada County Association of REALTORS® is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.